Monday 20 June 2011

yummy chewy jam rocks...

I have been craving jam drops of late, which is quite odd as I don't actually like them all that much. They're often too sweet for my taste & I'm not a fan of the shortbread texture either. 
I tried to ignore the calling, but after a few days I gave in. Instead of making the traditional style, I conjured up my own. They're not too sweet & are much healthier too, so little Huckle can enjoy them as well. 
I took a woman's weekly bran & apricot biscuit recipe & did a little tweaking. They're a bit of a cross between jam drops & rock cakes, I shall call them jam rocks.
 
Chewy Jam Rocks

1 cup white spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
(or 1 cup SR flour)
1 cup desicated coconut
1 cup unprocessed bran
1/2 cup brown sugar
125gm unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
Jam of choice

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
Form into inch sized balls & flatten slightly onto baking tray, placing them 5cm apart.
Make an indent into the top of each biscuit. You make have to do a little reforming, as the mix tends to crack a little here. Work with two hands to keep it together.
Drop a smidge of jam into each biscuit.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden.

Enjoy with a cuppa & try to make them last more than one day.

1 comment:

Sarita Leone said...

They look scrumptious.