Thursday 3 June 2010

the great search is over...

I love banana bread, the husband loves it too. We've been searching for the perfect recipe for a while now & I think we've found it.
I've tried over a dozen recipes, none of them were winners. They were all good... but not great. Too moist, too dry, too bland, too sweet, etc, etc. You may think I'm being quite ridiculous about this whole thing & you're probably right. But when you bake something on a weekly basis you have to love it.
We like ours with dates & walnuts, so I've been messing around with my own recipe. I rate it & the husband gives it 5 stars.
One can only assume that I'm not the only one with this terrible problem. So as my community service for today, I present you with my recipe.

Kitty's Banana, Date & Walnut Loaf

3 rather large, brown & dying bananas - mashed
1 fine freshly laid egg
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup brown sugar or honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix all theses things in a large bowl & add...

2 cups Wholemeal Self Raising Flour
3/4 tsp bicarb soda

Mix well & pour into greased loaf tin.
Bake at 180 degrees celsius for approx 45 minutes.
Please be aware that my oven is gas & you may need to adjust the cooking time to suit your oven.

Ok no more pomp & ridiculousness, that's enough for one day.

2 comments:

Running Thread said...

No pomp or ridiculousness needed! That recipe looks like a winner. In fact if I had any mushy bananas in the house,I'd whip it up NOW (at 10.30 at night). So I might just wait for the fruit shop to open in the morning ...

Tracey@bountifully said...

since all your other recommendations have been fab, I am definitely giving this one a go. hope all is well with you and your little family xx