Sunday 4 April 2010

busy baking...

My little oven's been running hot this weekend. Hot cross buns, then pear loaf & now some crusty whole wheat bread. Samuel is quite happy with all this baking & gave his tick of approval to all three. The pear loaf was a particular favourite. We had it toasted with butter for breakfast this morning. & I think I'll try it with some ricotta & honey for afternoon tea.
The crusty bread was started yesterday & left to rise overnight. I cooked it in a lidded cast iron dish, taking the lid off for the last 10 minutes. This makes it super crunchy & crusty on the outside & chewy in the middle, just how I like it. It was finished in time to be eaten with moroccan tomato couscous soup for lunch. Delicious.
I've had a real urge to be in the kitchen of late, I've been cooking lunch & dinner daily. Last week I was struggling to make dinners, let alone anything other than a slice of bread for lunch. So this week has been very gourmet.
I do have these recipes somewhere. If you would like either, just shoot me an email.
Happy sunday to you all.

3 comments:

Laydebird said...

hmmm pear loaf sounds yummy I bet your house smelt so good over the weekend..I see an image of a bird on your loaf :-)

teddybearswednesday said...

Pear loaf sound totally yum. I'm a big fan of pears and pears in baked things.
Any chance you might share the recipe?

Claire Gale said...

mmm you've just reminded me.....i need a recipe for irish soda bread....great cooking:)