Saturday 25 April 2009

back to reality...

Vanuatu was great! It was so wonderful to spend 2 weeks chilling out with my new husband. We read four books each, walked lots, slept lots, ate lots, swam lots, snorkeled lots, played uno lots, talked lots & laughed lots. We spent ten days on an island called Nguna & stayed in a shack on the beach with no running water or electricity. The ladies from the village fed us three times daily, breakfast was brioche-like bread with peanut butter, lunch & dinner we're rice with cucumber, fried banana, laplap, yam & a range of curry-like dishes.
We walked to watch the sunset.
Here's our little bungalow, also home to spiders, gecko's & mozzies. Often visited by a neighbourhood dog & a stray cat.
We played soccer with the village kids. We gave the village three soccer balls for the children.
Samuel hacked apart coconuts for us to eat. It was while I was trying to cut into one of them when I put a sharp serrated knife into the flesh of my palm. It hurt quite a bit, but don't worry it's pretty much healed now.
We walked to the top of a 470m hill to see the villages at the top, it was humid & sweaty. On the way back down the mountain the skies opened & torrential rain fell upon us. We had to protect the camera with a banana leaf, I wish I'd had a leaf for my head too.
Our last three days were spent at a luxury resort, to recover from our rural experience. We had a massage each, took hot showers & slept in comfy bed... luxury.
I must say, it's good to be home.
Thankyou for all your lovely messages in my last post.

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

So glad you had such a wonderful time!

CurlyPops said...

Welcome back Kitty. What an amazingly beautiful place to escape to for a honeymoon...