Friday 29 February 2008

kitty in the kitchen

I have been cooking both of these recipes since I was about 8 years old. They are no longer on paper... just in my head. The apple crumble recipe has been tweaked hundreds of times & has many different variations, this is just what I had today. My personal favourite is apple and rhubarb. Also, today I only had 4 apples, when usually I would use 5 or 6 & make it in a big pan & adjust topping to suit. Both are great old school recipes that are easy & stress free to make... which is what I love.

Brownies

1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Melt the butter, then stir in the sugar, eggs and vanilla.
Add the rest of the ingredients and stir thoroughly.
pour into 20cm square pan
bake at 175 degrees C for 25 to 30 mins
leave to cool, then cut into squares


Apple & Sultana crumble

4 large granny smith apples
1/2 cup sultanas
cinnamon stick
3 cloves

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp LSA mix
3 tbsp melted butter

Peel skin & remove core of apples then slice
Place them in saucepan with sultanas, cinnamon & cloves
Add about a half cup of water
bring to simmer and cook until soft
remove cinnamon & cloves & place into 4 ramekins

mix the rest of the ingredients together
place ontop of apple mix
cook in 180 degree oven for about 20 minutes
or until brown on top




No comments: